Saturday, September 15, 2012

Application Letter Critique.

ST Electronics (Training & Simulation Systems) Pte Ltd
24 Ang Mo Kio Street 65
Blk D Level 4
Singapore 569061
Dear HR Manager,
I am writing to enquire whether there are any more vacancies for the position of a “Senior Associate Engineers” as advertised on Jobstreet.
The opportunity presented in this listing is very interesting, and I believe that my strong education and technical experience will make me a very competitive candidate for this position. As you will see from my enclosed CV, I was in the field of maintenance in my two years of service as an Aircraft Technician in the Republic of Singapore Air Force repairing sophisticated fighter jet systems.Coupled with the background knowledge of Electrical Engineering concepts, I have extensive knowledge of various systems that is likely essential to assist customers with technical difficulties.
The experience of spearheading and organizing events has taught me how to build strong relationships with all departments at an organization. One of my greatest strengths is the ability to work independently within a team as well as cross-team. I strive for continued excellence and I provide exceptional contributions to customer service for all customers. I am eager to implement the professional skills I have developed so far while being committed to ongoing learning. In addition, I have a range of skills from my employment experiences, including in time management, working under pressure, professional communication and presentation, and creative problem solving, which will add further value to my contribution.
In closing I welcome the opportunity to meet with you to discuss how my extensive experience and skills would benefit your organization. Thank you very much for your consideration, and I look forward to discussing the issue with you at your earliest possible convenience. You may reach me anytime at 91234567.
Yours sincerely,
Clarence Wang



Wang Sikai Clarence
91234567
  EEE_nus@hotmail.com
 
EDUCATION 
Aug 2011 - Present, National University of Singapore          
·         Candidate for Bachelor in Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree (EEE)
·       Major academic courses highlights: Wireless Communication; Computational Sensory Systems; Mechatronics & Automation
 
Jan 2007 - Nov 2008, Serangoon Junior College, Singapore     
·         Full A-Level qualification achieved.
 
Jan 2003 - Nov 2006, Anglo Chinese School (Barker Road), Singapore     
·         Full O-Level qualification achieved.

OCCUPATION 
May 2012 - June 2012, The Fullerton Hotel, Singapore
In-Room Dining Services, Food & Beverages
·          Logistical support to assist the hotel management team to serve amenities and food to hotel guests.
 
May 2012 - May 2012, Waraku Japanese Restaurant (The Central), Singapore
Waiter, Food & Beverages
·          Assisted the restaurant in the service line.
May 2011 - Aug 2011, Paya Lebar Chinese Methodist Church, Singapore                    
Youth Worker (Internship)        
·         Assistance to pastoral staff in day to day operations.
·         Ad-Hoc Projects Completed: Church School Children Camp (30 May – 1 Jun 2011), One Youth Camp (13 – 17 Jun 2011), Youth Fellowship Parents' Night, launching of Chinese Alpha and One Youth Service.
Apr 2009 - Apr 2011, Singapore Armed Forces, Republic of Singapore Air Force.
·         Vocation: Air Force Technician.
·         Daily inspection and servicing of F-16 D+ fighter jets at first line to ensure aircrafts are fit for flight.
 

COMPETENCIES & INTERESTS
Computer Skills:
·           C Programming, Assembly Language, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Aftereffect
 
Personal Interests:
Bowling (Skills); Music (Compose)
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Clarence ,
    I find your cover letter concise and to the point, and you summarise rather well your experience and how it would be relevant to your applied job. While all these are good , there are some things you may want to take note of.

    Your opening line, "writing to enquire if there are any more vacancies" , is rather superfluous , because if there were none they wouldn't be calling for candidates. You want your opening line to catch their attention on your true purpose, which is not to enquire if there are any job vacancies but to apply for the job. Even if there are no vacancies left, request to be kept in mind for future openings.
    Secondly, it would be better if you could relate how repairing jets has anything to do with the applied job, perhaps it was something you learnt there that sparked your interest towards the engineering line, or maybe highlight some achievements you had garnered while in your service. You most certainly want to stand out and not appear like the run of the mill aircraft technician .

    I hope you find my inputs useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yechuan, you're right! I need to link my experience as a technician to the job I'm applying for! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clarence,

    I like it how your previous employment experiences could match with the requirements of your applied job. However I feel that your application letter is too concise!

    Maybe you could explain on "I have a range of skills from my employment experiences, including in time management, working under pressure, professional communication and presentation, and creative problem solving, which will add further value to my contribution." - for example, illustrate what you achieved in your past experiences which enabled you to be equip with professional communication skills, etc?

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Thanks for the input! Sorry for the late reply! I guess I should elaborate on that if not it's too vague right?

      Delete
  4. Hi Clarence

    I would like to agree with what Yechuan has said. Maybe instead of saying "I am writing to enquire whether there are any more vacancies", you could say "I am writing to indicate my interest for the position of....".

    I like the way you included your experience at restaurants as time management skills. That was well done. However, I would also like to point out that while talking about your aircraft experience as part of NS, try and explain what you learnt there that wants to make you work in this particular company and in that particular line. That way it will build your case better, and show your potential employers that you are genuinely interested.

    Apart from that, it's a very good letter - well written and concise.

    Hope my feedback helps.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! Thanks! Man it's really hard to 'show' your potential employers that you really want the job!

    ReplyDelete