The
Preparation
Okay, my group decided to take on the topic
of Solar Energy. A week before the actual presentation, I was discussing with
my group mates about the presentation layout and we decided that it was best
that I covered the last recommended solution as well as the conclusion, after
all, I was more familiar with the ‘recommendations’ part of my group’s
proposal.
These are some of the things that I did
prior to the presentation:
Firstly, I needed to imagine myself in the
classroom filled with government officials and people of high status. That was
difficult because I’ve never actually talk to anyone that holds similar
portfolios that my assumed audiences had. But nevertheless, it was useful as it
reminded myself to speak more formally and dress more appropriately.
Secondly, just as Prof. Radhika suggested, I penned down my ideas on a piece of paper. It
helped me a lot because at one glance, I could immediate remove the ideas that
were repetitive and unimportant. And after I had my ideas all sorted out, I
drafted out my script for the presentation. I still remember the video that our
tutor showed to us during class which assured us it was a must to prepare. With this in mind, I decided to run
through the script whenever I had the time. In fact, most of my verbal
preparation was executed on-the-go. For example, I would practice when I was
travelling on the bus/train to and fro school. I thought it would be good to
practice in places such as these where distractions are present so that on the
day itself, no matter the distractions, I would not stumble.
Lastly, because it was a very technical
subject, I told myself that I had to know the details like the back of my hand
– from the structure of the schemes, to the feasibility of the scheme, to the
costs involved down to the very last figure. Thus I spent one night to research
thoroughly on the topic, making sure I was confident of everything that I was
going to say. The facts had to be sound, convincing, and appealing to the
officials. Therefore, most of my information was more inclined toward details
that are relevant to government officials. For example, in my presentation I
included the cost savings that the government could earn, the macroscopic goals
that Singapore as country could achieve, as well as the feasibility of
administering the scheme. In fact, I excluded the information about the cost
savings that residents themselves could benefit from because I wanted to be
concise and relevant to the expected audience. In addition, besides wanting to
impress the allegedly ‘officials’, my other motivation
that encourages me to understand more about the topic was due to the fact that
two of my classmates (You know who you are!) are currently pursuing their
studies in the field of ‘Environmental Engineering’ – I didn’t want my
arguments to be unfounded and flawed especially when this is their area of
expertise.
The Execution
In my presentation, there were a few things
that I thought I should improve on. Firstly, I was more nervous than before. Although
it doesn’t seem like that on the outside, I was really really nervous. In fact,
for those of you who have noticed, my right hand was literally shaking. Was it
because I didn’t prepare enough? No, it wasn’t. Perhaps it was because I had
more expectations of myself than the one at ‘peer teaching’. I need to calm down
more and tell myself that I have a presentation that’s well prepared and worth
presenting – there’s nothing I should fear.
In addition, I thought that I should be
more aware of how my slides changes. I remember that I was talking about the 3rd
point of my conclusion and after I was done, I was a little shocked that the 3rd
point on my slide didn’t appear on the screen. I honestly can’t remember
whether it was my forgetfulness or the intermittent response of the clicker.
Nevertheless, I should have been more aware of the visual aids I’m using.
I thought my preparation on the ‘facts’
turned out well. I could answer the questions posed by the audience confidently
because I know they’re all substantiated. It was good that I’ve prepared and I
think this is what I would do for my future presentations as well.
Gathered from the class, I believe one of
my strengths in presenting is knowing how and where to pause. I guess it’s
something I should keep on practicing so that I won’t lose that skill.
In sum, I thought that I didn’t perform as
well as the one at the ‘peer teaching’ session because I was pretty nervous.
However, it was a good practice to prepare us for the real presentations that lie
ahead of us. The practices in the course definitely helped me to understand my
strengths and weaknesses better! (:
Carpe Diem!
Hi Clarence,
ReplyDeleteOh man! you are a professional speaker. You were able to adapt to both kinds of presentation, first the peer teaching which was more of informal and then this oral presentation in which you showed us you can be equally good at formal presentation as well. I was extremely lucky to be in the same group as yours in this oral presentation. I am in awe of your presentation skills.
You mentioned you were a bit nervous, but as an outsider I never really felt it when you presented your part. Of course it is quite natural to have butterflies in your stomach before any presentation but as far as it doesn't affect your performance it should be fine. I am not sure if I am right, but people tend to say that one should in fact be a bit nervous in order to give the best in them. So I am not sure how nervous you were, however i never really noticed anything from outside.
Yeah I know it happens that some times we forget to change the slide because when we practice we tend to practice only our script and often overlook these things. These are really minor issues which you can overcome by practicing your script along with the slides.
You are doing a great job Clarence. Just keep it up :)
Yeah! Thanks Edwin! Appreciate it! You really didn't notice anything? That's encouraging! Haha. Yeah. I guess I have to practice my lines TOGETHER with my slides to make it all work out. Thanks for all the pointers you have given me to improve my presentation too!
DeleteHi Clarence,
ReplyDeleteI actually did notice your hands were shaking and it struck me as you were terribly nervous. BUT, you did not sound nervous at all! i was impressed that you managed to be calm and composed while delivering your presentation.
I was impressed that you really knew your topic like the back of your hand, which implied that you have put in a lot of effort to prepare for this OP.
You have certainly improved from your last presentations! keep it up!
Yeah! I told myself that even though my hands were giving me away, my mind is much stronger than that. When you think about it, it's actually quite strange: how one can sound alright even though the body is giving him away.
DeleteClarence,
ReplyDeleteWell done! You nailed this presentation once again. While I could tell that you were a little nervous compared to the last presentation, you didn’t stumble on your words. Also the phrases you used were thought provoking and engaging. The examples you gave on the cola company stuck in my head. I may not be able to recall all of our classmate’s presentation but I find myself more able to remember yours because you gave us an avenue to recollect, a story to fall back upon. Which I felt was great!
One thing you could have improved is that your presentation appeared memorised at times.
Yes, we all memorised our scripts (me included) but your facial expressions gave you away at times when you rolled your eyes back to recollect. But that was a minor hiccup because you over-wrote those parts with your eloquence and good tone variation.
Thanks! Well, I couldn't have done it without your constant reminder of how a great speaker always incorporates a story is his presentations! Okay, I will work on the facial expression part. Thanks for being real honest! (:
DeleteAside from being less prepared for my group's presentation, I think one of the reasons why I was so nervous was because of your group's fantastic presentation. Oh dear, we should have presented first! Laughs.
ReplyDeleteOkays, like Mayee, I did notice your trembling hands but I thought it didn't lasted long as you grew more comfortable with the audience after a while. While you mention that you had issues with the presentation slides, I have to say, I really didn't notice it. This is partly because I was listening to you rather than focusing on the slides. Your presentation speech was really good. You engaged with the audience well and you sounded so calm and composed despite being nervous. I think that's something we all can learn from you. :)
One thing that I learnt from your group presentation was that, it is important to believe in your own work. Much effort must have gone into the research and honestly, it would have been difficult to sustain the hard work without some enthusiasm and passion in the project. For that, thumbs up!
Well, we COULD have changed the sequence couldn't we? Haha. Thanks Bernice! That was what I wanted to attain actually, for the audience to focus on me rather than the slides! I'm glad I managed to achieve that somehow! Yeah, you have to believe in your work before others actually believe in what you're presenting. People can tell when you're not attached to your topic of discussion!
DeleteClarence!
ReplyDeleteVery honestly, every time I felt extremely nervous on that day, I used to just look at you, and that calmed me down somehow. So if you claim that you were very nervous, then I don't know what I was going through!
I did notice your hands tremble, as I was standing quite close to you. But I felt you grew into your presentation. By the second minute or so, you were right up there with the best. Your examples will stay in my mind for long, and I thought you really drove the point home.
The fact that you had extensively researched each aspect of the topic really bore fruit on the final day, and I felt happy knowing that in case any of us were unable to answer any question pertaining to our part, you would always be there to save the day. Great job!
I loved your conclusion, and I'm glad you wrapped up our presentation.
Keep up the great work. You're a natural!
Thanks Madhav! Man, your comments are always so 'epic'! Haha! It was great working alongside with you Madhav! Come on, we wouldn't have been able to pull off that 'polish' look without all our contributions right? You, Tobi and Edwin have to take in the credit too! Please don't put it all on me! Anyway, all the best for your upcoming exams and take care man!
Delete